Fast forward to a child with severe allergies (cannot burn scents in the house, or wear purfume, or scented hand sanitizer...you get the picture) Another child who, as toddlers go, is a little too adventurous, and REALLY likes to blow out any candles he sees (always while singing Happy Birthday, so it is kinda cute). This fast forward version of a gal is also a bit less indulgent in the expendable income department so in comes the creativity. You know the old saying, necessity is the mother of invention. I mean, it is out of necessity that I have a warm smelling coveted pleasure to replace my endeared Yankee candles right? What I mean is that girl needs a replacement, right?
So, here it is. I love the smells of fall, but I cannot shell out the $20-$30 for a candle these days, and even if I could, my son's allergies would probably act up negating the awesome candle burning anyway. I devised an awesome replacement. It smells my entire home, check. It is warm and inviting, check. It is safe for a house full of toddlers and crawlers, check. Win! So, what is it????
I took a few cinnamon sticks (you could also just use cinnamon powder), a few cloves (or ground clove powder), cut up a very overripe apple and added water. I have now been simmering this concoction for 4 days and it smells just as strong as on day one! I just add additional water everyday. This does not seem to bother my son's allergies at all (maybe because there are only all natural ingredients?) and it is safe because I do not worry about my children upsetting candles! WIN!