I missed the go-to easyness of a bag of burger buns until I found this recipie because it is really easy and forgiving enough even for the faint of heart. The actual prep time is about 15 minutes then bake time but they are so worth it!
I gleaned the original recipie from Taste of Home but as always I tweak things a bit.
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add oil and sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the egg, salt and enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 3-5 minutes. Do not let rise. Divide into 12 pieces; shape each into a ball. Place 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Bake at 425° for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 1 dozen.
So, I performed step #1 (before and after the 5 minutes) and here is what it looks like in pictures: