2. You know the value in recycling almost anything (old t-shirts into tomato ties, broken fencing into garden stakes, old signs into stall patches).
3. You know at least 3 ways to “stretch” a meal.
4. You know why bats are valuable to your evening porch time.
5. You make “sun” tea.
6. You get up before the sun, more often than not.
7. You are familiar with the titles “Urban Farms,” “Grit,” “Mother Earth News,” and you are not surprised that there are entire periodicals devoted to poultry.
8. You have seen a soft shelled egg before…in person.
9. You know that “campfire coffee” beats the pants off of a traditional cup brewed in the kitchen.
10. Lemonade is made from real lemons, or in a pinch, lemon juice, sugar and water.
11. You know what the term “tack” refers to.
12. You can identify at least 3 edible “weeds” that grow wild.
13. You have had the scars of wild berry picking and been proud of them.
14. Your children get their sex education at a very early age simply by observing animals.
15. Your children have ever been told “its too nice to be inside”
16. You have ever baled hay, stacked hay, or had the tell tale “hay speckles” on your arms.
17. Seeing baby birds in a nest is relatively common place…especially in your hanging flower baskets.
18. You know what a “cistern” is and you could participate in a conversation about well water.
19. You know what summer smells like.
20. You have ever picked fresh produce (berries, tomatoes, lettuce) straight out of the ground/off the bush and eaten it without concern.
21. You know how to make your own meat stock.
22. You or your children have ever made a firefly lantern.
23. You know you are a farmgirl at heart if you desire to do any of these things and your hearts desire is to live closer to the land.